Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
Welcome to infpverse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Board index » Conversations » The Body

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Vision Therapy & Myopia Prevention
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:25 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

MBTI type: INFP
Enneagram type: 4w5 so/sx
From Wiki

Quote:
Vision therapy, also known as visual training, vision training, or visual therapy, is a group of techniques aimed at correcting and improving binocular, oculomotor, visual processing, and perceptual disorders." Vision therapy encompasses a wide variety of non-surgical methods which some have divided into two broad categories: 1) orthoptic vision therapy, also known as orthoptics, and 2) behavioural vision therapy, also known as behavioural or developmental optometry.

Has anybody else here heard of this, or tried it themselves?

A friend of mine is convinced that the optometry industry is ignoring the potential benefits of this in the pursuit of profits, and the articles he's sent me put together a pretty convincing argument.

Resources:

www.preventmyopia.org (Introductory article on how vision therapy can prevent and correct the early stages of myopia, particualrly in children).

http://www.i-see.org/ (Collection of various Vision Therapy techniques)

http://www.myopia-manual.de/ (Technical analysis of the causes of and possible treatments for myopia) (pdf)

Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.
- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post subject: Re: Vision Therapy & Myopia Prevention
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

Enneagram type: 9w1
I have heard of it yes but not looked into it, no pun intended :rofl:

However this may change one day soon as I'm pretty sure that my eyesight is around minus 0.5 in each eye, sufficient for me to have to screw up my eyes in order to read train displays but insufficient to really need to wear permanent eyesight correction right now. Vision therapy could therefore be just the trick. It would not surprise me in the slightest if the availability of this information were being suppressed by the optometry industry.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

Now's the time to start then, I think the advice is that if your prescription is about -0.8 or better then therapy can correct your vision completely. After that it's a case of improving your vision, rather than correcting it.

It's too late for me, I'm at about -1.5, and that friend of mine is down around -6, but therapy is supposed to be good for the general health of our eyes as well, so I'm giving it a try (I'm a lazy git though, so I'm just doing the passive techniques, like reading at the edge of my blur zone).

EDIT: Upon having done further research, it seems that you can maybe correct your vision completely if you catch it before it's -2.0 (rather than the -0.8 I thought before). Additionally my myopia is actually about -3.25(ish), and that friend of mine's is actually around -7.0(ish).

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

Enneagram type: 2
Hello, Oh-Keeper-of-my-Darkest-Secret-and He-Who-Wields-a-Big-Fish. :-D

Here's my quick and easy answer which took me years to discover:

We are body, mind and spirit. Keeping these three facets of our well-being in balance is the secret to a satisfactory life and also a full-time job. I gather a lot of info and don't allow anyone to market anything to me about this responsibility. (The Amway folks don't like me much.)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:33 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

So that Amway thing is what the Avon company would look like if it was run by scientologists? Interesting. :twisted:

Anyway, that was sound advice Anja. Thanks.

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 pm 
Doughy deliciousness
Doughy deliciousness

Enneagram type: 5w4
Class: Viking
I like my food: Abundant
But I like wearing glasses ^^

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

Light Speed wrote:
But I like wearing glasses ^^

Oh no! The optometry industry's brain-washed Light Speed! :shock:

Break free, Light Speed! Break freeeeeee!!!

Seriously though, if you like the way they make you look you can always get a pair with plano (non-convex/concave) lenses.

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:54 pm 
Delectables
Delectables

MBTI type: ____
Enneagram type: _____________
I've never mentioned this to you guys before, but I practice the Bates Method daily! My vision is 20/40 on the right and 20/70 on the left, and improving. I love it and really recommend it. It's very relaxing too, especially the long swings and the palming.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:59 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

PretendTheresPurpose wrote:
I've never mentioned this to you guys before, but I practice the Bates Method daily! My vision is 20/40 on the right and 20/70 on the left, and improving. I love it and really recommend it. It's very relaxing too, especially the long swings and the palming.

That friend of mine has been using the Bates Method (along with other eye exercises) and he said that some of the exercises are really good for relieving eye-strain, but he hasn't been doing it long enough to tell if there's been any improvement in his overall vision.

Personally I'm wary of trying it, there was an article published in the '50's (link) that was pretty brutal about a lot of his research, so I'm sticking with behavioural therapy for now.

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 am 
Crunchy goodness
Crunchy goodness

MBTI type: iNFp
Enneagram Tritype: 496
This is fascinating.

I don't imagine it's possible to prevent the onset of kerataconus, is it? (Sometimes spelled keratoconus.) This is what I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerataconus

It's a progressive thinning and protrusion of the corneas that's fairly common. This can result in trouble reading, even blind spots and greater-than-double vision. Mine are developing slightly below visual centre, but it's still early. My reading glasses are only 1.25-1.50x, but they're a bit useless. I squint, and back-lit subway ads are the worst. When I don't squint, I can get shadows appearing where there are none. I can expect to wear hard contacts one day, and 20-25% of us even get cornea transplants. Laser surgery is ineffective, because lasers can only remove layers of tissue, which mimics the problem itself.

Did I mention I enjoy pathophysiology? 0:)

i had a worm in my hair and i slept on the worm and then i found it in my soup and i sat on a hot piece of tin and my skirt inched up and my panties got hot so i went to the freezer and I ate a big onion is that bad de doo de dee doo

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:00 pm 
Freshly baked
Freshly baked

flux wrote:
This is fascinating.

I don't imagine it's possible to prevent the onset of kerataconus, is it? (Sometimes spelled keratoconus.) This is what I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerataconus

It's a progressive thinning and protrusion of the corneas that's fairly common. This can result in trouble reading, even blind spots and greater-than-double vision. Mine are developing slightly below visual centre, but it's still early. My reading glasses are only 1.25-1.50x, but they're a bit useless. I squint, and back-lit subway ads are the worst. When I don't squint, I can get shadows appearing where there are none. I can expect to wear hard contacts one day, and 20-25% of us even get cornea transplants. Laser surgery is ineffective, because lasers can only remove layers of tissue, which mimics the problem itself.

Did I mention I enjoy pathophysiology? 0:)

Hi Flux

I was directed to this thread by my good friend DefectiveCreative to see if I could provide you with any information that might relate to your condition. I know little about Keratoconus myself, but here is an interesting website created by a fellow sufferer:

http://healingkeratoconus.tripod.com/index.html

This person successfully regressed their own severe Keratoconus and avoided the need for corneal transplants by using a combination of improved diet, flat fit aspheric RGP lenses, relaxation techniques, and eye exercises.

There is also some evidence that Keratoconus can be improved by increasing vitamin D (preferably vitamin D3) and calcium intake.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_13/ai_n30917271/pg_7/ (for some reason this url wouldn't automatically parse correctly..cut'n'paste should work)

If you don't fancy going down the alternative/nutritional therapy route, there is also an emerging treatment called corneal collagen crosslinking with riboflavin (CxL) that is proving to be effective in halting or even regressing the progression of Keratoconus. This treatment is currently not readily available in the USA as it has not yet been FDA approved. I think there are invasive and non-invasive version of this treatment available (the non-invasive variety doesn't need FDA approval), but I'm not sure of the relative merits of each. I advise that you do as much research as you possibly can on the procedure to find out if it would be suitable for you or not.

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/cxl-crosslinking.htm

I hope this information will prove some help to you.

Craig

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 am 
Crunchy goodness
Crunchy goodness

MyopicMinstrel wrote:
Hi Flux

I was directed to this thread by my good friend DefectiveCreative to see if I could provide you with any information that might relate to your condition. I know little about Keratoconus myself, but here is an interesting website created by a fellow sufferer:

http://healingkeratoconus.tripod.com/index.html

This person successfully regressed their own severe Keratoconus and avoided the need for corneal transplants by using a combination of improved diet, flat fit aspheric RGP lenses, relaxation techniques, and eye exercises.

There is also some evidence that Keratoconus can be improved by increasing vitamin D (preferably vitamin D3) and calcium intake.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 7271/pg_7/ (for some reason this url wouldn't automatically parse correctly..cut'n'paste should work)

If you don't fancy going down the alternative/nutritional therapy route, there is also an emerging treatment called corneal collagen crosslinking with riboflavin (CxL) that is proving to be effective in halting or even regressing the progression of Keratoconus. This treatment is currently not readily available in the USA as it has not yet been FDA approved. I think there are invasive and non-invasive version of this treatment available (the non-invasive variety doesn't need FDA approval), but I'm not sure of the relative merits of each. I advise that you do as much research as you possibly can on the procedure to find out if it would be suitable for you or not.

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/cxl-crosslinking.htm

I hope this information will prove some help to you.

Craig

First off, Craig, I love the username. ]:)~

Also, thanks for the information. I didn't even know there was more than one kind of D-vitamin. Any web searches that I've done about keratoconus have come up pretty thin on so-called alternative remedies. Everything I've read talks only about hard contacts and cornea replacements as potential sources of treatment.

i had a worm in my hair and i slept on the worm and then i found it in my soup and i sat on a hot piece of tin and my skirt inched up and my panties got hot so i went to the freezer and I ate a big onion is that bad de doo de dee doo

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:03 pm 
Freshly baked
Freshly baked

flux wrote:

First off, Craig, I love the username. ]:)~

Also, thanks for the information. I didn't even know there was more than one kind of D-vitamin. Any web searches that I've done about keratoconus have come up pretty thin on so-called alternative remedies. Everything I've read talks only about hard contacts and cornea replacements as potential sources of treatment.

Don't worry, I didn't know myself till a few weeks ago. :-D Both D Vitamins are essentially the same, but it is generally acknowledged that D3 (or cholecalciferol) is more potent in humans than D2.

Yeah, keratoconus is a pretty mysterious disorder, the cause of which is still pretty much unknown (with the current poor state of optometric research, though, I'm not that surprised they haven't figured it out yet.) One interesting thing I read about keratoconus, is that it is usually associated with people of very high IQ's -- I'm sure that's probably true in your case, too :thumbsup:

If you want my advice, don't put the health of your eyes soley in the hands of your optometrist. Keep researching your problem, finding out about any alternative, or second opinion treatments available. From what I've read, even though the procedure is quite new, the best treatment available seems to be corneal collagen cross-linking with riboflavin. Keep an eye on it.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 pm 
Delectables
Delectables

DefectiveCreative wrote:
Personally I'm wary of trying it, there was an article published in the '50's (link) that was pretty brutal about a lot of his research, so I'm sticking with behavioural therapy for now.

DefectiveCreative, could you explain some of the behavioral therapy techniques? I would like to try them.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 am 
Crunchy goodness
Crunchy goodness

Thank you. I've much reading to do. :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

DefectiveCreative, could you explain some of the behavioral therapy techniques? I would like to try them.

I've only been doing some of the more passive ones, so Craig/MM can do a better job of explaining the more active ones, but mostly for me what it boils down to is:

* Doing without my glasses as much as possible (I try to only wear them when I absolutely have to).

* When I'm reading things I try to keep the text at the edge of my blur zone, so my eyes are encouraged to improve their focussing power.

* In a similar vein, when I'm out and about I try to keep looking at the point that's furthest away from me.

* Like one of the links in my first post says, when reading close up I try to remember to look up and into the distance every now and again, so that my eye muscles don't lock up.

* DON'T SQUINT. This is important, squinting just does the same thing to the eye muscles that minus lenses do, so don't do it.

Well that's about it, I think I'm doing it right, but if I'm not I expect Craig/MM will set me right.

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 am 
Crunchy goodness
Crunchy goodness

DefectiveCreative wrote:
* DON'T SQUINT. This is important, squinting just does the same thing to the eye muscles that minus lenses do, so don't do it.

I realize we're talking about different eye conditions, but this is probably key for me too. Thanks. And at this stage the glasses don't really help anyway. :)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 pm 
Freshly baked
Freshly baked

DefectiveCreative wrote:

I've only been doing some of the more passive ones, so Craig/MM can do a better job of explaining the more active ones, but mostly for me what it boils down to is:

* Doing without my glasses as much as possible (I try to only wear them when I absolutely have to).

* When I'm reading things I try to keep the text at the edge of my blur zone, so my eyes are encouraged to improve their focussing power.

* In a similar vein, when I'm out and about I try to keep looking at the point that's furthest away from me.

* Like one of the links in my first post says, when reading close up I try to remember to look up and into the distance every now and again, so that my eye muscles don't lock up.

Well that's about it, I think I'm doing it right, but if I'm not I expect Craig/MM will set me right.

This is excellent advice. If you follow this advice and you are mildly myopic, your prescription will probably stabilize, or slightly improve. Of course, if you are highly myopic, leaving your glasses off for long periods may not be feasible, in which case, I recommend getting a weaker prescription for doing close work, which should help slow or stop the degradation. If you are only just starting to become myopic, you can stabilize or reverse your myopia by wearing plus lens glasses for doing all close work. The plus lenses should strong enough that they make the point you are focussing on slightly blurry to have the optimum effect.
There are a lot of active eye exercises that may also be of some benefit. If you want an overview of these, I recommend trying the free system, here:

http://www.visiontherapy.net/index.php

You have to give an email address to be able to download the system, so just use a spam addy if you are worried about your address being abused. Vision improvement can be difficult, though. Preventing your eyesight from deteriorating in the first place is much easier.

Craig

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:06 am 
Delectables
Delectables

Thanks DefectiveCreative and MyopicMinstrel. Looks pretty similar to Bates, which I'm seeing some temporary good results with. I might take a look.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
The powers that be
The powers that be

Found this fairly decent online radio interview with the head of the Myopia Prevention Association, it sets out the basic ideas behind the whole thing pretty well I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlMX4-KfMQ

- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Conversations » The Body