Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
Welcome to infpverse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Board index » Conversations » 1800-INFP: Questions and advice line

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 

Post subject: INFP eyes?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

MBTI type: INFP
Class: Ninja
I remember reading something a short while ago about INFP eyes. I dunno, do you reckon there is a certain look that only INFPs have? Or is it just me wanting to believe what i want to believe?

Post subject: Re: INFP eyes?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

Enneagram type: 4
Enneagram Tritype: Heart
Class: Pirate
I like my food: Now
I also remember a thread in which this was discussed. Somebody said that the INFPs he/she has come across had very mysterious or "deep" eyes :). But I might be mistaken here ...

Since I totally fail at typing other people :\, I don*t know many INFPs who really are that, but I guess there *might* be similarities in expressions in the face or maybe a way of trying to be a little eccentric concerning clothing or the entire outward experience ...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 pm 
Grand high Poobah
Grand high Poobah

MBTI type: ISXP
Enneagram type: 6w7
Enneagram Tritype: 694
Class: Viking
I like my food: Savoury
I've noticed that INFPs generally don't smile for the camera upon request--meaning that unless they actually are feeling happy and laughing, they will usually look serious in photos. I think this generally results in the viewer concentrating on the INFP's eyes, which adds to the 'deep' feeling. Also, when you're not smiling, the eyes are wider and not really all crinkled up, so that makes them look even deeper.

(But yes, INFPs do tend to have eyes that seem still and intense.)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:33 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

almost melancholy i suppose?
I dunno how you would define mysterious though. But intense i guess. But not agressive, more feminine actually.
I cant fake smile. My fake smiles are incredibly easy to spot because i look like i'm in pain.
And yea a neutral face expression that appears as if they are thinking. Like not really focused. Not actualyl looking at something but through it.
You can see it in this video which is the best example i can find of what i'm talking about.

2:11
Thats the neutral expression. Staring through something not at something. Not focused stare.

2:25

2:27
Really hard to find. This photo only appears for liek a microsecond between a film clip almost like a subliminal image slipped in. An example of a smile.

2:53

2:59

3:07

So you get a face which seems staunch but also quite sad?
Though that's only one example. We're gonna need some definite infps.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:51 am 
Grand high Poobah
Grand high Poobah

Yes, sometimes INFPs look melancholy or sad. However, if you happen to catch an INFP in a photo when they are genuinely happy, it's pure happiness and radiates off the page. I like looking at serious INFP photos... it's like looking into someone's soul, with no pretense.

We had a thread once on the old forum about smiling in photos--lots of INFPs said they couldn't fake smile either.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:50 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

oh na i dont really think theres a certain eye shape. I think it may just be a certain 'daydream' sort of think. Like theres 2 modes. Theres alert and when you looking at something, you are actually looking at it and then theres the daydream/relaxed look which is where you just stare at a general area or object but are not actually looking at it. And sometimes when you look around you still have this sort of expression.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

Actually on second thoughts i dont no. Just ignore my last post. I dont really think there is an eye thing that is distinctive to infp

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 am 
The powers that be
The powers that be

Enneagram type: 9w1
Hi Voodo Chile

I recall a thread from INFPglobalchatter a few years back about INFP eyes which I think is the one that sciski and khaosinkinema are also referring to. The general consensus was that yes, there *is* a certain something about INFP eyes but that it is not so much a physical thing (a particular shape of the eyes) so much as a harder to define 'look' of some kind of depth.

I agree with this and my attempt to describe it would be that it is to do with our Fi or introverted feelings. We often feel things deeply and don't always show this in our expression - INFPs tend not to wear their hearts on their sleeves - so when people converse with us perhaps they pick up on this and can intuit that there is more than we let on that is going on beneath the surface. If the eyes are 'the window of the soul' then perhaps they offer a glimpse into the workings below.

Less prosaically perhaps, I think people are just so used to extraverted feeling being the default that when they come across one of the less widely distributed types such as an INFP they don't really know what to make of our different ways and so they categorise us in the 'deep and mystical' box.

I suspect both of the above explanations are true and just differently described sides of the same coin.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Full of chippy goodness
Full of chippy goodness

Pipster wrote:
If the eyes are 'the window of the soul' then perhaps they offer a glimpse into the workings below.

LOL you should try being a ghost!!! You can see straight thru people and walk through them too :ghost

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

My husband says that I rarely, truly smile. And when I do, he thinks it's beautiful. I have hazel eyes, that not only change with my clothes colors, but also with my moods. People get enraptured with them, if they catch them in a color change, but I don't know about the being deep part. I think that sort of thing, comes with life experiences and how you come out on the other side of those said experiences that makes a difference. Not only in humans, but I also think in some animals too.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 am 
Grand high Poobah
Grand high Poobah

LadyKaliska wrote:
My husband says that I rarely, truly smile. And when I do, he thinks it's beautiful.

This is what I was getting at. :nods:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:12 am 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

Class: Pirate
I know I can't fake smile at all, I have always hating taking pictures, even since childhood. My family would always force me to smile for the camera. Every time we finished my face instantly went right back to where I found it mose comfortable.

A coworker of mine will often tell me I look depressed. One of the first times she told me she also mentioned shes always thought this. I think it might be because I, like most INFPs, generally go through the day feeling everything deeply and internally. I often forget I even have a face to make expressions with, and when I'm in a conversation I just ignore the face all together and keep that straight face when I talk to people.

I have problems when I really do want to smile, I'll try to hide it, and its painfully obvious to those around me. I think I'm self conscious about people being aware of me at all, and I feel like when I'm smiling, all of a sudden everyone will be looking at me, and concentrating on me, and that makes me very anxious and uncomfortable. I find it hard, even among close friends to smile genuinely, and if I do I am incredibly aware of how I appear to others, and I usually think I look stupid.

If there is an "INFP Look" that you're talking about, I think it might just be the straight face, but somehow people romanticize it. Maybe Intuitive people are most likely to point it out.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 pm 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

MBTI type: infp
Enneagram type: 6
What I notice of the Fi expression...

Ti/Ni can be a void in expression... like they go blank when in the Ti or Ni zone.

And the Fi face is somewhat void of expressiveness (as compared to Fe, where there is smiling and lots of mirroring) there is an under current of emotion... when an infp is silent and still, there's a lot going on under the surface. I feel like Fi-doms have almost a sullen expression that looks weighty/emotional, and have seemingly sadder/softer eyes than others. The crease goes downwards, and it's been commented to me that most of my expression comes out in my eyes rather than the rest of my face like an Fe type, where I feel that they use their whole face to express, whereas for an Fi type, eyes, gaze, directness in eye contact (or lackthereof especially for Asian infps) is where the weight of the emotion is carried, and non infp types can miss it and mistake it for being pissed off. I notice that TJs and FPs when conversing carry a tone of seriousness in the face that we both understand. Whereas Fe types are much more expressive, bouyant and conversations seem to carry a tone of "sunny-ness". Whereas Fi types don't mistake the sullen face for lacking in emotion.

I feel fe types are wider eyed and fi types are weightier.

I do think that there is an infp "look" that you see in a lot of baby photos of infps...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 5603_n.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:35 pm 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

MBTI type: infp
Enneagram type: 6
Trying to encapsulate the correct word for what I term "the look", is a mix of serious and soft. And that applies to eyes, eye contact and "looking".

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Grand high Poobah
Grand high Poobah

Oh, the Princess Diana eyes! I think of them as INFPish as well. :) My TJ friend has Fi-eyes, kind of serious and sad. She's learned some Fe skillz recently though, and now smiles in photos. Either that or she's found happiness.

I like your observations magnolia. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Pleasantly aromatic
Pleasantly aromatic

Enneagram type: 9w1
I like my food: Delicious
In regards to fake smiles, I can't do them either, I have to say cheese all the time. But when I'm happy, my smile brightens up a room (or so I've been told).

And an INFP look, yeah I have an ESFJ friend who, when I'm in my introverted state of aloneness and peace always thinks that there's something troubling me.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 pm 
Freshly baked
Freshly baked

I can never smile for photographs unless I am genuinely happy and someone happens to click a photo of me. My ex-girlfriend always told me that I had soft eyes and that I seemed sad. My eyes are honey brown and when I smile they become really small so you hardly notice them at all. I also make direct eye contact when I speak and it gets on my nerves sometimes when it's not reciprocated. I get the distinct impression that the person I'm talking to is not being honest and genuine with me. Any thoughts regarding this?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am 
Grand high Poobah
Grand high Poobah

I think it's quite a natural response to distrust a person who doesn't reciprocate eye contact. I find it hard to talk to people when I am making eye contact (this counts as multitasking for me!), so tend to look away while talking, but give lots of eye contact when listening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » Conversations » 1800-INFP: Questions and advice line